Wednesday, January 12, 2011

What inspires you? Pass it on!

Let me start by saying not sure why everything is being underlined. It is late and I can't figure out how to turn it off....oh well here we go!

Do you like to sew?
Would you like to learn to sew?
Wouldn't you want to shop in fabric stores like these?

City Craft, in Dallas, Texas

Not a box store like Joann's or Beverly's.
The Stitch Lab, Austin, Texas

with lots of charm!


The picture above is from Maisonette; this store is within driving distance!
It is actually owned by a mother and her two daughters each with their own specialty, art, sewing and photography.
I am going to go here. Soon.


This store above is called Whipstitch.
It is in Atlanta.
Probably won't be going here anytime soon.
But...
I am following her blog.
There are two entries of interest here....

First I signed up for a Sewing Buddy.
What is this you may ask?
It is a sewing pen pal.
I want to start sewing more this year!
You can read all about it here.
Maybe you would like to join too, she is still accepting applicants.


The second entry of interest can be found here.
It is about sewing with kids.
The connections that can be made when working on a project together.
She is going to start posting projects for kids.

I learned to sew when I was a kid.
I remember my mom sewing my clothes.
I remember my great-grandmother visiting
and I got to stitch by hand with a needle, thread and a paper bag.
Later I took home ec in middle school,
more sewing classes in high school,
I even squeezed a class in during college.
I worked at a fabric store one summer.
Talk about feeding a habit.
I took a quilting class when my husband was deployed (it kept me busy at night after the kids were in bed!)

Unfortunately here in California Home Ec has been lost in budget cuts.
Madeline wants to learn to sew.
I am going to try and teach her.
We are going to designate a day/afternoon.
We are going to start Friday.

First project a pillow.

I can't wait to see what the kid projects are from Whipstitch,
she said although they are geared for the young
she said she and some friends would enjoy doing them too.

So check it out maybe there is something you will want to try.
Maybe with your daughter?









2 comments:

  1. Madison took Home Ec as an elective when we first moved here. She L-O-V-E-D it! Made me reminisce about how many life skills I learned in my Home Ec course in MIddle School.

    I can't wait to read more about your mom and daughter sewing time. Does she have her own machine? Christmas list? Birthday?

    Stitch away...

    ReplyDelete
  2. Of all the classes in school I've taken from kinder to a masters, I have to say I've used the things I learned in Home Ec. the most. Great idea especially since we don't have horseback riding on Fridays anymore.

    ReplyDelete